Things You Can Do Every Day to Prevent Pests
At Surf City Pest Control, we have helped many people not only get rid of the pests they have, but also prevent new pests from moving in. In a further effort at prevention, our expert Huntington Beach pest control company is encouraging homeowners to try these pest-prevention techniques as part of their spring cleaning in the coming weeks.
You can avoid unwanted infestations of pests like, ants, termites, ticks, and stinging insects from invading your home and yard with a few simple tasks.
- Inspect the outside of your home for easy access points, like areas where utility pipes enter. Seal small cracks and crevices with a silicone-based caulk. Seal larger areas by plugging them with steel wool which deters pests with rough steel fibers.
- Look for signs of termite damage, like mud tubes, soft wood that sound hollow when you tap it, and cracked or bubbling paint.
- Keep the grass cut low and make sure tree branches, shrubs, and other vegetation is well trimmed and away from the house.
- Clean out gutters to prevent standing water–an excellent breeding ground for pests.
- Repair fascia and rotted roof shingles to deter wood-loving insects.
- Replace weather-stripping and loose mortar around foundations and windows, especially basement windows.
- Screen your windows, outside doors, attic vents, and chimney. Repair any rips in existing screens.
- Direct water away from the house with properly maintained downspouts, gutters, and splash blocks. Repair leaking faucets, water pipes, and AC units.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house.
- Keep mulch at least 15 feet away from the house.
- Regularly dispose of garbage in a sealed trash bin outside.
- Keep kitchens clean by wiping down countertops, and sweeping and mopping floors regularly.
- Store food in sealed containers and keep ripe fruit in the refrigerator.
- Vacuum at least once per week.
- Keep pet bowls clean and wipe up their spilled water. Store the pet food in a sealed plastic container.
- Follow your vet’s advice about regular preventative treatment for ticks and fleas on dogs and cats.
- Get rid of areas of moisture by routinely checking under sinks and repairing any leaks. Consider using a dehumidifier in damp basements, crawl spaces, or attics.
These are just some of the helpful tips and trick from the pros at Los Angeles pest control company, Surf City Pest Control. For more information about our pest removal and prevention services, click here or call us today at (714) 655-1947.